Wherever you are, as long as you have a car, and you drive frequently or occasionally on highways, state roads, and public roads in general, you have to register your car.
Even if you have registered in a previous state, if you are moving to a new state, you have to get your car registered to the new state you are moving to. The state of Georgia is not excluded from this. You have to get your car registered in Georgia. Which begs the question, how?
There have been a lot of inquiries into whether you can do things such as it pertains to the Department in charge of Motor Vehicles in the United States, online, and what other things can you do online when it comes to this department.
Also, even though there are provisions to register or renew your registration online in several states, can you do it in Georgia as well? And if this is possible, how can you get a copy of your registration after registering online in Georgia? All these questions will be answered.
To get a copy of your car registration online in Georgia:
- Visit the Department of Revenue’s (DOR) Online Service Centre website
- Click on Replace Vehicle Registration or Motor Vehicle Registration Renewals
- Fill in the relevant information and submit
- Once the papers are ready, a copy of your registration will be sent to your registered email.
Table of Contents
Can I Register My Car Online in Georgia?
No, you cannot fully register your car online in Georgia if you are registering for the very first time. However, after registering at the office, you can do every other thing online.
When it comes to beginning the process of a new registration, then you cannot complete it online. If, for instance, you have just moved from Missouri to Georgia, and since you’d be using your car a lot, you want to register your car to the safe of Georgia.
This will be a new registration, regardless of whether you have previously registered in your previous state. Since you’re registering newly, you have to visit the nearest branch office of the relevant authorities (Department of Revenue) to you to newly register your vehicle to the state.
This also applies if you have just purchased the vehicle newly, or from someone else.
However, you can renew the registration of your vehicle online in Georgia, after meeting all the requirements.
How Can I Register My Car in Georgia?
To register your car for the very first time in Georgia, you have to visit the branch office closest to you to get it done. This is referred to as your “Country Tag Office”.
You could either book an appointment or simply do a walk-in to the Country Tag Office. To locate the office, you should visit Georgia’s Department of Revenue (DOR) website.
Once you have located the office, ensure that you have all the requirements needed to register your vehicle in the state of Georgia.
Without meeting these requirements, you will be denied the registration of your vehicle. This is why it is important to have all the information you need concerning what is required to register your vehicle. What are these requirements? Let’s find out!
How Can I Get a Copy of My Car Registration Online Georgia?
All you have to do to get a copy of your vehicle’s registration online in Georgia is to visit the website of Georgia’s Department of Revenue (DOR) Online Service Centre. Once you visit the site, you’d see various options regarding motor vehicle registration.
Click on “Replace Vehicle Registration”, or “Motor Vehicle Registration Renewals”. Once you do that, you will be asked to fill in the relevant information and then a copy of your registration will be sent to your registered email.
This is a very simple process, and it is free of charge. You shouldn’t have any issues whatsoever getting a copy of your registration.
What are the Requirements to Register a Car in Georgia?
In this section, you will find, listed, all the things, documents, files, and receipts you will be required to present when you want to register your vehicle in Georgia.
- A valid ID Card, or a Georgia Driver’s license — This is to ensure a means of identification for you. The valid ID card can be your local or international passport, a Georgia-recognized driver’s license, or any other means of identification that the DOR considers valid.
- You have to have proof that you have legal ownership of the vehicle. This is called proof of ownership. — There are serval things that can stand as proof of ownership of the vehicle. You need to have the vehicle’s original, valid title that has your name on it or a means to declare that you own the car. If the vehicle’s title is unavailable, then a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MSO) is acceptable. This MSO must be boldly written in your name. Lastly, if the car is from a state where vehicle titles are not issued, you should have a Form T-22B Certification of Inspection that has been properly filled with your details and well stamped.
- You must have your Tag Application — This is usually referred to as Form MV-1 Title. You can print it at a self-service station, at the DOR’s branch office, or even at your home. It must carry your signature.
- Proof of Insurance — You must have proof that your car has been insured, either by the insurance company on the database of the DMV or by an Insurance Binder that shows the extent of liability your insurance covers.
- Finally, you must have receipts of all payments, from registration of plates, down to taxes, etc.
These are all the necessary documents required for you to register your car in the state of Georgia.
Pros of Registering your Car in Georgia
- You will have unlimited access to public and state roads if you register your car in the state of Georgia.
- Registering your vehicle in the state of Georgia is a very stress-free process, and you won’t even need to go back to the Country Tag Office after registering your vehicle. Every other thing will be done online.
- All the information about your vehicle will be in the database of the state’s website, and in the case of any car theft, you will have a full claim and proof that the car is yours.
Cons of Registering Your Car in Georgia
- It’s a lot of paperwork. You have to ensure that all your documents are complete and that the required documents are signed or stamped. The bureaucracy around registration is complex.
- Freshly registering is very stressful as you will have to visit the Country Tag Office, which might be far from your home base.
Once you have all the documents required to register a car in Georgia, the rest of the process is easy. And when, for any reason, you want to replace or renew, or transfer, or you simply need a copy of your registration in Georgia, you can do all of this online by simply going to the website and inputting the right information.
This is an easy and free process. Everything is easier online, especially with the very accessible and interactive website of Georgia’s Department of Revenue.